Hi there, thanks for checking out Aussie Green Thumb, I appreciate it. If you want more, click here for all my best advice, exclusive content and FREE bonuses!
This September at AussieGreenThumb.com is ‘So You Want A Better Garden?’ month. This month I will be focusing on helping you step forward to meet your gardening goals. I realise though that for many people the task of improving your garden seems monumental.
Hopefully you have kept up with the simple challenges so far. My goal is that each challenge will take no more than 10 minutes per day.
Here are the final 5 tips!
Days 26 to 30 – Choosing the Right Plants
26. Do you know what plants you have in your garden? Take note of how many you know the name of and how many you don’t. Set yourself the goal of learning the name of every plant you have. This may not happen quickly but it is a good practise to get into, knowing what you are growing.
27. Are your plants annual or perennial? Take note of your garden. Annual plants last one season, perennial plants last more than 2 seasons. Annuals are great and you will want to plant some however a majority of perennial plants will be better in the long term. Use annual plants to compliment your long-term perennial plants.
28. Do you want to plant from seeds or seedlings? Do some research to discover the pro’s and con’s of each. Most perennials need to be seedlings or mature plants for best results but many annuals and vegetables will grow well from seed.
29. Is there a particular perennial plant you would like to add to your garden? Do some research and find out. Perhaps consider an Australian native from my ‘Plant of the Month: A Compilation’
30. Take a quick trip to your nursery and have a look at what annual plants they have in stock. Perhaps look to add one or two to your garden. Annual plants add vibrancy to your garden. There are annuals for every season, however Spring to Autumn are the best seasons for growing annual plants.
For all the ’30 days to grow a better garden’ series, follow these links:
30 days to grow a better garden: part 1
30 days to grow a better garden: part 2
30 days to grow a better garden: part 3
30 days to grow a better garden: part 4
30 days to grow a better garden: part 5
30 days to grow a better garden: part 6
Intrigued to know more about how choosing the right plants will improve your garden? Chapter 6 in my ebook delves into the topic of common garden tasks in a way specifically designed to help beginner and intermediate gardeners learn how to choose which plants to grow.
You will discover;
1. What are annual plants?
2. What are perennial plants?
3. Should you plant seeds or seedlings?
4. Why should you consider native plants?
And much, much more!
So You Want A Better Garden?
Click here to read more about what my ebooks have to offer you, or to buy and help support this website (thank you so much).
All my best articles have been collected into what I’m calling the ultimate gardening toolkit – make sure you take a look, there’s a heap of great gardening advice available.