Electric riding mowers are a great option for comfortable, quiet lawn mowing, whether you’re on a large property and want to make this weekly gardening task as enjoyable as possible or in the suburbs and don’t want to disturb the quiet of your neighbourhood.
If you’re looking for the best electric riding mowers in Australia in 2022, this is the guide for you!
Why Buy an Electric Riding Mower?
- Quiet – Electric riding mowers are very quiet compared to their petrol counterparts, generally generating about 80 decibels of noise (about the same amount of noise as an air conditioner), compared to the approximately 100 decibels of a petrol mower.
This is easy on your ears, helping to prevent noise-related hearing damage as well as keeping your neighbours happy!
- Zero emissions – With green living becoming an increasingly popular lifestyle, it’s great to have a riding lawn mower that gets the job done and supports the environment!
Electric engines produce no emissions, which is good for the planet and your lungs.
- Low maintenance – Electric riding mowers need far less maintenance than petrol mowers. There’s no fuel, oil, belt servicing or engine maintenance needed.
All you have to do is keep your mower clean and store it properly while it’s not in use.
- Compact – Electric riding mowers are generally lighter in weight and more compact in design than petrol versions. This means they are easier to store, and that they can maneuverer into tight corners and sections of the lawn with ease.
- Comfort and speed – Most people don’t enjoy mowing the lawn – it’s just a task that needs to get done. But with an electric riding mower, this task is more enjoyable, more comfortable and faster to complete than ever before.
With ergonomic design and a powerful motor, there’s no strain on your back, arms or body, and you can power through even the largest lawned areas quickly.
What to Look for in an Electric Riding Mower
Here are some important features to consider before making your purchase:
- Speed – How quickly your mower can get the job done is always an important consideration, especially if you have a larger lawn or if you are supplying commercial lawn services.
- Cruise control – Top-of-the-line electric riding mowers offer cruise control, so you don’t have to sit with your foot on the pedal while you mow, which makes the process much more comfortable.
This is recommended for larger lawned spaces or professional lawn services providers where you have to work with the machine for longer periods of time.
- Transmission – Mowers can be manual with gears or automatic, just like a car. Manual means more work (but more control) for you, while automatic means simple, easy operation.
- Zero-turn – Zero-turn mowers have the tightest turning radius, allowing you to get around shrubs, flowerbeds and other obstacles more easily. More agile than other mowers, they are recommended for level, even lawns where you want a perfect finish.
- Cutting width – This refers to how wide a path the mower will cut on each turn. The larger the cutting width, the fewer passes you’ll make, so the job gets done faster.
However, a wide cutting width can be a problem if you have to get through more narrow spaces, making the machine more challenging to maneuverer.
- Warranty and brand – Electric riding lawn mowers are not cheap, so it’s important to protect your investment. Choosing a well-known brand means you get better access to support and parts, and you know what you’re buying.
Good warranties of 2-5 years mean that if anything should happen to your mower, you’re covered.
The 5 Best Electric Riding Mowers in Australia
I didn’t think it was possible to fall in love with a lawn mower, but the idea of driving around in sport mode between lawns is exciting.
With a top speed of 13 km/h it really does whizz along. But the EGO zero turn mower is more than just gimmicks, it’s a brilliant lawn mower at its heart.
The adjustable blade depth gives even, pristine cuts every time, and its steering is super intuitive, meaning that even beginners can get right into the edges, and underneath hedging.
If you’ve got the money, and the space, you’d be daft not to invest in a tool this good.
If it’s simplicity you’re after, this fully electric lawn mower from Baumr-AG is built with durability in mind above all else. The platform, the seat, the steering, everything. It’s all built to last and built to drive easily.
There’s a standard for zero-turn mowers, which is just sort of accepted these days. They all seem to come with bar steering. The defiance of Baumr-AG means that there’s a zero-turn electric riding mower for anyone.
If you still prefer steering the old-fashioned way, this is the electric mower for you.
For suburban lawns that you want to keep looking pristine, the Cub Cadet has a lot to offer. The narrower 76cm cutting width makes it easy to get around trees, shrubs, paths and ornaments, while the 56V electric motor offers plenty of power for everyday lawn management.
With a very comfortable riding seat (complete with armrests!), as well as a cup holder, USB charging port and cruise control, this is ideal for the laid-back gardener.
The lithium-ion batteries charge up in just 4 hours with a 120V charger and come with a 3-year warranty, and you can cut up to 1 acre easily on a single charge.
It comes with a mulching kit, has a pressed steel cutting deck and you can easily adjust the cutting height. Cub cadet also offers a wide range of accessories you can buy for your mower, including carts, blade sharpening kits and spreaders.
It’s a pricey piece of equipment at around $6,299, but it has plenty of comfort features and quality to back it up.
This is an even more powerful version of the one we reviewed above, more suited to commercial landscaping or very large lawned areas.
It’s a zero-turn mower for precise cutting and manoeuvrability, with a very wide cutting deck of 107cm, making complex, large jobs quick and easy.
It will run for around 3 hours of cutting time on a single charge, making it ideal for lawns of up to 3 acres in size. With 4 brushless motors (2 for driving and 2 for the blades), it runs smoothly and cuts cleanly, even in thicker growth.
The ride is very comfortable thanks to the spring shocks, it has LED lights for early morning and evening operation, and it comes with a cup holder and USB charger.
This mower is also very adaptable, and the cutting deck can be fully removed so that you can operate it as a tractor. This does come at a price however, with units costing around $6,999.
Do you want to look into other zero turn mower options? Check out our 2022 zero turn mower product reviews here.
Ryobi is well-known for their innovation and quality, and this battery-powered ride on mower is exactly what you’d expect from them!
With a mowing time of up to 2 hours, a quiet but powerful brushless motor, and some great additional features like cruise control, battery charge indicators, USB phone charger (so you can listen to music as you mow) and headlights, it’s got everything you’d want in a mower and a little more.
It offers a 95.6com cutting width, adjustable 38mm-114mm cutting height, 12-position deck height adjustment, side-discharge/mulching/bagging capabilities, and an adjustable seat for comfort.
It’s powerful enough to handle thick grass growth, easy to maneuverer, and able to mow around 2 acres on a single charge. It is well-priced for the quality, features and performance you get at $4,499.
The most advanced battery powered mower from Cub Cadet has a lot to offer if you are looking for optimal mowing performance for your lawn or landscaping business.
It has a 56V motor, 107cm pressed-steel cutting deck, adjustable cutting height of 2.5-10cm twin-blade cutting system and rapid recharge of just 4 hours.
This riding mower will cut up to 2 acres on a full charge in just 1.5 hours with no power fade, making it as easy to cut manicured lawns as tougher, thick growth. It can mulch or bag the clippings, and has a comfortable seat and cruise control.
It also comes with an anti-corrosion defence system, heavy-duty front caster and axle for durability and managing tougher terrain, LED headlights, mulch kit, and thick, high-traction front and back tyres.
For peace of mind, it comes with a 3-year unlimited hour unit and battery warranty. It’s a pricey investment at $8,999 but this is backed by build quality and performance.
Our Top Pick - Best Electric Riding Mower in Australia
The EGO Zt4204E has to be one of the best electric riding mowers we’ve ever found. Its smooth steering, fast charging, and long run time all add up to make this a truly brilliant lawn mower, but all the bells and whistles aside, there’s only one true test of a lawn mower… How well does it cut?
The even cutting, even over rough ground, from the EGO ZT4204E is truly special. If you’re willing to splash out a little, this is a great way to get golf course quality grass at home, or on any large lawned space.
Make Mowing the Lawn Fun Again with the Best Electric Riding Mower for 2022
Riding mowers make lawn maintenance easy and enjoyable, allowing you to sit back and relax while you maintain your garden’s best feature.
Electric riding mowers have plenty of power to tackle everyday gardens as well as commercial landscaping projects, and are eco-friendly, quiet, low-maintenance and comfortable as well, so you don’t strain your back, your relationship with your neighbours, or the environment while you mow.
With the best electric riding mower, you’re guaranteed to enjoy mowing your lawn again!